Rev. Arkley Howard Salters – 1948-1953 – Full Gospel Assembly
Builder and First Pastor
Church was built without a membership or congregation
Corner of Little River Turnpike and McWhorter, Annandale, VA
20 people attended the first service
Rev. Kenneth Wright – 1953-1954
Church set in order as an Assembly of God on January 29, 1954.
T. Burton Pierce officiated at this service
Rev. T. J. Kerfoot – 1954-1958
Rev. Edward Garnes – 1958-1973
Building committee was organized May 15, 1961
Moved into new church building on Sunset Lane, Annandale, VA
Rev. Cecil Jones – 1973-1977
Rev. D. Wendel Cover – 1977 to present
Early in 1978 it was deemed necessary to start a building fund to construct a new sanctuary for the church (First Assembly of God of Annandale). This had become a priority item after a new education building had been erected at 5001 Backlick Road in Annandale. It was determined that there was not enough land remaining at this location to build a new sanctuary and provide adequate parking.
A committee was appointed to explore the possibility of buying additional land, or selling what we had and relocating to build a complex of school, church, and children’s center.
By late 1980 it was felt that the Lord was leading the body to relocate all of its facilities and the academy to a location where a larger complex could be established to His glory. In 1981 a parcel of land at the corner of Edsall and Backlick Roads in Springfield, Virginia was purchased.
Because the church was moving into the city of Springfield, Virginia, and another church nearby was named First Assembly of God, the church voted to change our name to Word of Life Assembly of God. At that time, the academy also elected to be known as the Word of Life Christian Academy.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held at the new property on Sunday, March 28, 1982.
Construction on the first building was started soon thereafter and the Academy moved into the new Education Building in September of 1983. Meanwhile, construction proceeded on the new sanctuary.
Moving day from the old to the new property was celebrated by a parade down Backlick Road on Sunday, March 4, 1984 and the cornerstone was laid.
Groundbreaking for the 2nd Education Building was held in October of 1985 and the Gym was completed in 1986.
Groundbreaking for a new sanctuary was held in August of 1991 and the new sanctuary was completed in 1993. The first service in the new sanctuary was held in March of 1993.
Groundbreaking for a Children’s Center was held in 2005 and was dedicated in 2008.