Our History

Courtesy of the Annandale Chamber of Commerce Photographic Archives

Courtesy of the
Annandale Chamber of Commerce
Photographic Archives
All Rights Reserved

Rev. Arkley Howard Salters – 1948-1953 – Full Gospel Assembly

Builder and First Pastor

Church was built without a membership or congregation

Corner of Little River Turnpike and McWhorter, Annandale, VA

20 people attended the first service

Rev. Kenneth Wright – 1953-1954

Church set in order as an Assembly of God on January 29, 1954.

T. Burton Pierce officiated at this service

Rev. T. J. Kerfoot – 1954-1958

Rev. Edward Garnes – 1958-1973

photo (3)

Building committee was organized May 15, 1961

Moved into new church building on Sunset Lane, Annandale, VA

Annandalechurch

Rev. Cecil Jones – 1973-1977

Rev. D. Wendel Cover – 1977 to present

Early in 1978 it was deemed necessary to start a building fund to construct a new sanctuary for the church (First Assembly of God of Annandale).  This had become a priority item after a new education building had been erected at 5001 Backlick Road in Annandale.  It was determined that there was not enough land remaining at this location to build a new sanctuary and provide adequate parking.

2 Groundbreaking Education Building  3 Building Education Bldg5 Education Building

A committee was appointed to explore the possibility of buying additional land, or selling what we had and relocating to build a complex of school, church, and children’s center.

By late 1980 it was felt that the Lord was leading the body to relocate all of its facilities and the academy to a location where a larger complex could be established to His glory.  In 1981 a parcel of land at the corner of Edsall and Backlick Roads in Springfield, Virginia was purchased.

photo (1)

 

 

Because the church was moving into the city of Springfield, Virginia, and another church nearby was named First Assembly of God, the church voted     to change our name to Word of Life Assembly of God.  At that time, the academy also elected to be known as the Word of Life Christian Academy.

 

 

A groundbreaking ceremony was held at the new property on Sunday, March 28, 1982.

8 Groudbreaking Edsall Road 3_82

7 Groundbreaking Edsall 3_82 Covers

Construction on the first building was started soon thereafter and the Academy moved into the new Education Building in September of 1983.  Meanwhile, construction proceeded on the new sanctuary.

10 Building Complete 9_83

 

 

 

 

 

 
Moving day from the old to the new property was celebrated by a parade down Backlick Road on Sunday, March 4, 1984 and the cornerstone was laid.

photo (4)14 Cornerstone 3_84

Groundbreaking for the 2nd Education Building was held in October of 1985 and the Gym was completed in 1986.

16 Grounbreaking 2nd Education Building 10_85

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Groundbreaking for a new sanctuary was held in August of 1991 and the new sanctuary was completed in 1993.  The first service in the new sanctuary was held in March of 1993.

20 New Sanctuary Groundbreaking 8_91

21 New Sanctuary Groundbreaking 8_91

 

 

 

 

 

 

31 First Service 3_93

Chrurch Front 1

 

 

 

 

 

 

Groundbreaking for a Children’s Center was held in 2005 and was dedicated in 2008.

35 Childrens Center Groundbreaking 200538 Childrens Center